What an amazing fall season we have had. I can’t explain why, but the colors have seemed even more vibrant and picturesque than normal this year. I’ll be sad when the last of the fall colors fade away, which can only mean one thing: it’s shoulder season, Park City.
The dictionary defines Shoulder Season as “a travel period between peak and off-peak seasons”. From that perspective, let’s be real: Park City doesn’t have the same shoulder season it once did. When I first moved here, businesses would close and the place would turn into a ghost town for a few weeks. Restaurants that remained open offered BOGO discounts or better.
Alas, we may no longer have the dictionary Shoulder Season, but we still go through transitional periods between winter and spring and then again from fall to winter. This is the time when our normally very predictable weather becomes quite the opposite. Mud, rain and heavy snow put a damper on most of the ways we stay fit outdoors. So, what’s a skier, snowboarder, hiker, mountain biker or outdoor enthusiast supposed to do to stay fit in the shoulder season? Here are a few ideas.
20 Ways to Stay Fit During Shoulder Season in Park City
- Yoga is one of my go-to’s, especially in shoulder season. Read about Park City’s fabulous yoga studios.
- Join an adult sports team through Basin Recreation.
- Try something new and let it all out at Rise Boxing.
- Take a lesson, brush up on your skateboarding or jump (really high) on the trampolines at Woodward Park City.
- Drop-in for a pickleball game. Tip: there are indoor courts at SSAFC Rec Center in Kamas.
- Get your ski legs in shape by signing up for a ski conditioning class at Good Movement Studio.
- Grab a court at the PC MARC and hit a few tennis balls.
- Make a day of it and rally some of the trail networks in the valley that don’t see as much snow, like Corner Canyon.
- Get fit for cross country skiing with a pair of roller skis.
- Work some new muscles when you take the family to the rock wall at The Crag in Heber.
- Check out the class schedule at Silver Mountain Sports Club and get your sweat on.
- Feel the music and the burn with an Orangetheory Fitness class.
- Channel your inner ballerina with a class at Pure Barre.
- Get serious about competition with training at Athletic Republic.
- Try a social and motivational HIIT-style workout at Beau Collective.
- It’s no longer an official “CrossFit” box, but Park City Fit, where you will find me most mornings at 5:15 am, will give you a CrossFit strength and conditioning workout.
- If you’re serious about low impact but hardcore ski training, look no further than Park City local company Skier’s Edge.
- When it’s too muddy on Park City’s famous singletrack, try one of our many miles of paved trail.
- Find a spin class at one of our fabulous gyms like PC MARC or The Studio in Heber.
- When in doubt, head south. There’s a reason I purchased a second home in Southern Utah. It’s typically perfect weather this time of year. Great for a multitude of outdoor recreation and fitness pursuits.
What have I missed? I hope you all enjoy what’s left of fall. This post has admittedly made me a little excited for ski season!